Discovery Day

Discovery Day, as I think I've posted before, is what we call our co-op.  It's our day to get together with friends and learn about science.

We get together with two other families, each having four kids (no, it's not a prerequisite).  We basically break up into three groups.  There's the second graders which includes Livvy, Hannah and Taylin.  Sammy, Isaac and Rayna are our kindergartners.  The preschoolers are Ben, Nathan and Tobyn.  And then Jonathan, Natalie and Aleya are the babies.  That's 12 kids and 3 adults.  Oh, yeh.  It's fun.

Amanda teaches all the big kids (second graders and kindergartners) Spanish before lunch.  Kelly teaches the kindergartners and I teach the second graders after lunch.  There are lots of breaks for play.  It's kind of an all day event - just the way the kids like it.

The kids, and I, love having Discovery Day!!  It literally is the highlight of the week.  I feel so blessed to be apart of the lives of these kids and to have them in our lives.

Here's a picture of our crew  taken this past November.



Just for my memory sake, I wanted to record some of the things we did today.  Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.


While Amanda taught the big kids Spanish, Kelly and I had all the littles.  We've been doing some activities surrounding the book, If You Give A Moose A Muffin.   Today we read the story for the last time, made some muffins, and finished some moose puppets that we had started last week.  We made 24 mini muffins and 9 big muffins.  There's not a single muffin left.  Not one.  I couldn't believe it.

Today the kindergartners learned about kangaroos (from My Father's World).  They read some books, tested their jumping skills, and made kangaroo puppets.  Sammy told us all about it at dinner.

I've been teaching the second graders about the deserts of the world using A Journey Through Learning unit study.  Today we watched a portion of a movie on deserts, read about the Sonoran desert, and finished our dioramas of the Gobi, Sahara, Arabian and Sonoran deserts.


All in all, I think we all learned something.  And had fun at the same time.
Now, I think I must go to sleep.  It's been a very full day.

Comments

Popular Posts

The Cutlip Family