Quotes From Here and There

Through reading several books, getting e-mails of quotes from others, and watching a movie, I've been challenged and encouraged. Here's some of the ones I thought worth sharing:


Amy Carmichael:

"Remember that there is nothing you are asked to do in your own strength..."

"God, who is all the while supplying the impulse (to obey and overcome), giving you the power of inner resolve (to see it through to victory), is also giving you the strength to perform (under pressure) and to carry out His good pleasure: Phil 2:13."

"How utterly foolish it is to plead weakness when we – even you and I – may move into the stream of that power. If only we will..."

"My Father, I choose Your strength over my weakness! For today, I will step out of the role of Lord and Judge… and I'll strike the word ‘impossible’ from my thought."



A Lamp unto My Feet:
The Bible's Light for Your Daily Walk by Elisabeth Elliot:


"The job has been given to me to do.
Therefore, it is a gift.
Therefore, it is a privilege.
Therefore, it is an offering I may make to God.
Therefore, it is to be done gladly, if it is done for Him.
Therefore, it is the route to sanctity.

Here, not somewhere else, I may learn God's way. In this job, not in someother, God looks for faithfulness. The discipline of this job is, in fact the chisel God has chosen to shape me with -into the image of Christ.

Thank you, Lord, for the work You have assigned me. I take it as your gift; I offer it back to you. With your help I will do it gladly, faithfully. I will trust you to make me holy."



Amy Carmichael
A Chance To Die by Elisabeth Elliot:

"'My precious Mother,' she wrote, 'Have you given your child unreservedly to the Lord for whatever He wills? ...O may He strengthen you to say YES to Him if He asks something which costs.'"

"She quoted the words of Jesus, which cut deeply: 'If any man will come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it' ...'To obey is better than sacrafice.'"

"Faith does not eliminate questions. But faith knows where to take them."

"Mrs. Carmichael wrote, 'My own Precious Child,

He who hath led will lead
All through the wilderness,
He who hath fed will surely feed...
He who hath heard thy cry
Will never close His ear,
He who hath marked thy faintest sigh
Will not forget thy tear.
He loveth always, faileth never,
So rest on Him today - forever.'"




Holding Onto Hope

by Nancy Guthrie

"When our lives are pricked with difficulty, what comes out is what's inside."

"What does it mean to 'fear' God?...It is a profound sense of reverential awe toward God... It is displayed in a person's character and conduct. A person who fears God recognizes God's authority over every area of his life... He recognizes his complete dependence upon God for everything he has and everything he is. He approaches every aspect of life with an aim to glorify God. And when life deals him a blow, his fear of God is revealed more completely,"

"Why has God allowed so much suffering in your life? Ultimately, the purpose is not to disfigure you for life but to mold you into a person who thinks and acts and looks like Christ."

"But because I believe God's plans for me are better than what I could plan for myself, rather than run away from the path he has set before me, I want to run toward it. I don't want to change God's mind - his thoughts are perfect. I want to think his thoughts. I don't want to change his timing - his timing is perfect. I want the grace to accept his timing. I don't want to change God's plan - his plan is perfect. I want to embrace his plan and see how he is glorifed thought it. I want to submit."

"...With great boldness and passion and persistence, we cry out to God, begging for physical healing. And in these prayers, there is often a tiny P.S. added at the end where we say, 'If it be your will.'
But shouldn't we switch that around?
Shouldn't we cry out to God with boldness and passion and persistence in a prayer that says, 'God,would you please accomplish your will? Would you give me a willing heart to embrace your plan and your purpose? Would you mold me into a vessel that you can use to accomplish what you have in mind?' And then, perhaps, we could add a tiny P.S. that says, 'If that includes healing, we would be grateful.'"

- I am certainly not "there" with these last quotes from Nancy Guthrie, but I hope this is where I end up.


And on a completely different note, a must see movie!

The Star of Bethlehem
I checked, it is available on Netflix if you subscribe to that.

"For if the Star wasn't magic or a special miracle from outside of the natural order, then it was something even more startling. It was a Clockwork Star. And that is overwhelming. The movement of the heavenly bodies is regular, like a great clock. The Clockwork Star finally means that from the very instant at which God flung the universe into existence, he also knew the moment he would enter human history in the person of Jesus of Nazareth. He marked it in the stars. And from before the beginning of time as we experience it, God knew the very moment when Messiah would breath his last on the cross."

Comments

Tiffani said…
That poem from Amy Carmichael's mom is one of my favorites.

Popular Posts

The Cutlip Family