Titus 2:11-15

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously and godly in this present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Speak these things, exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you.


A couple of weeks ago our pastor asked the congregation to memorize these verses. I was excited to have that challenge and a goal to work toward. After I started to have a good portion I realized that I should include the kids in on it too. I so want the word to be hidden in their hearts too. I want their lives to be governed by what God says in His word, and that means that I need to be giving them the word so that it can find it's way into their hearts to stay. Unfortunately I only went over the verse with them, having Livvy and Sammy just repeat after me, whenever I remembered...which was a only couple times a week.
Thankfully the times that I did go over the verses with the kids, some of the verses stuck. Livvy memorized all the way up to "...looking for the blessed hope..." Sammy knows one phrase, "...appeared to all men..." I want to make going over this verse a daily part of our lives. Once we have this one completely memorized, I want to pick another verse. What I need to make this happen is, yup, discipline...not one of my strong suits (I love it, but it doesn't come naturally to me). Maybe tomorrow I'll start making it apart of our day. I just need to do it.
Anyway, two weeks ago, our pastor had some volunteers get up and say the verses to the rest of the congregation. They received some candy for it. He then had all the congregation say it to someone else, and everybody who said it was also given some candy. Well, when Livvy heard this she wanted to tell Pastor Mark what she had memorized so she could get some candy too. We told her that she might have to go on stage, which she was agreeable to, as long as Daddy went with her. So, last Sunday Tom took Livvy up to tell Pastor Mark her verses during the time that everybody was telling others their verses (thankfully he didn't ask for volunteers to go on stage, Tom wanted me to go with him and Livvy, which I didn't want to do). She got some coconut flavored M&M's for her effort. I was very proud of her for her confidence and desire...she certainly didn't get it from me.

Comments

Popular Posts

The Cutlip Family