Catch Up

The week, or weekend actually, started with my parents coming up to help with the house and to celebrate my 34th birthday (Yah, I'm getting old. Oh well, what are you going to do about it?). On Friday night we all went to Fratelli's (the best pizza in Flagstaff by far!) for my "favorite meal" birthday tradition (for Tom's birthday we always get to go to Red Lobster - yum!). I had to wait until Sun (my real birth day) for presents and cake.


Saturday was a work day. Tom and my dad finished the trim and weather-stripping around the garage doors. The outside is looking really good. Now onto the electrical...well, it'll get started whenever Tom gets motivated enough to go outside in the cold after coming home from work. Aah, I can't blame the guy too much...I certainly wouldn't want to get all cold after a long day of work.


This morning in my quiet time I read Prov 22 and Romans 15. BTW, God has truly honored my desire to have a quiet time every morning before little people are stirring. I've always had this vision (because my mom demonstrated it to me) of my kids getting up in the morning and seeing me up and reading my Bible. I've always wanted to set that example for them. Trouble was, I hate getting up early in the morning! Tom and I are such night owls. Well, Ben likes getting up around 6:30am and the kids aren't allowed to come out of their room in the morning until their alarm clock says 7:?? (it doens't matter if it's 7:00 or 7:59, it's just whenever they see a 7). So...I get up, feed Ben, go get my coffee and then I sit down on the floor while Ben plays happily nearby and I have my quiet time. It's a very good way to start the day. I still don't necessarily like getting up that early, but it's really has been a good time. God is good.

Anyway, in my reading of Prov 22. A couple of verses hit me, again:

Prov 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Prov 22:15 Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child;
The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

This morning these verses reminded me about the intentionalness (is that a word?) that I as mom am supposed to have with raising our children - recognizing our children's foolishness ("Sin is foolishness") and training it out of them with the rod of correction. Train the child in the way he should go, "not in the way they would go, that of their corrupt hearts...but in the way they should go; in which, if you love them, you would have them go" as Matthew Henry's commentary states (Biblos.com). I do play a role in their way when they are old.

I think we're doing a fair job of this; I know I need to actually be more intentional in our "training", but....the day gets going and it's hard. I pray that I will make the time so that when our children are old, that they will cling to the truths of the Bible - our intentions, our "training" and not necessarily to all the ways in which I as mom inevitably mess up somewhere...does that make any sense?

Anyway, I have more thoughts on what I want to blog about but I'll save them for when I have a little more time. Right now it's time to go feed a baby.

Comments

Kristen said…
I find it hard to believe that such sweet, innocent little beings have "corrupt hearts"...maybe it's just me! =)

Popular Posts

The Cutlip Family