Slow Down, Summer, Slow Down

So...summer just officially started no less than six days ago. Summer. That wonderful time of no school, hanging out at the pool, getting dirty, going on hikes, and trying to stay cool. And although our summer break officially started three weeks ago, unofficially really since in homeschooling when is anything official,  I feel like it's already slipping through my fingers.

I'm learning or just relearning things about myself. I am not a home-body, but I do enjoy a predictable day with a good portion of it being at home. I thrive in the daily routine of chores, than breakfast, than Bible time, than... I know everything is going to get done because it's worked into the schedule.

Summer, although considerably less "work" and more fun, brings with it a break in my predictable day. The table is not getting wiped and the floors are not getting swept because we're not in our routine. Instead of keeping the kids on schedule, I let them head outside to play before doing their daily chores, or we're out the door for some fun activity. This is good. It is nice. The problem is I just feel like I'm going to forgetting something. I constantly have this feeling that I'm supposed to do or go somewhere but I can't remember what it is. Aaahh!

We are by choice not busy people. But summer brings with it more busyness than I'm used to. It's fun stuff. Some of it is relaxing stuff. But it's just more stuff. Or maybe it's just more random stuff, not the usually predictable stuff, which makes it feel like we're busier than we really are. Whatever. I just need to learn to roll with it. Embrace each moment. Breathe.

Today, for example, I was blessed to snuggle a feverish two-year old. As I sat there, I told myself to enjoy the moment. Quit thinking about what was supposed to get done. Who I was supposed to call or text. Quit trying to figure out what I'm missing and enjoy the moment that I was in. Zac is a pretty cuddly kid to begin with, but he is usually pretty wiggly and has the attention span of a, well, of a two-year old. It was oh so nice to just sit on the couch and hold him. He snuggled up to me with his BB and Buddy and we did not do anything. It was wonderful! Everybody that was home was outside playing and Zac and I just sat on the couch enjoying the time together. No rushing. No time limit. No to-do list. Just him and I.

Tomorrow we're off to go fishing at a lake in Williams for the morning. I should ask Pop-Pop and Grammie if they want to come.

Friday we'll meet my mom in Camp Verde to pick up Livvy from her "Oma Camp". She's been in Phoenix since Monday having some pretty sweet girl time with Oma and her cousin, Abbi (Aubrey joined them for today's activities). It looks like they went shopping, had Starbucks, visited one of Livvy's and Oma's sweet old friends, made Opa and Oma a fancy dinner, swam with some other friends, and watched some chick flicks. Couldn't get any better than that!

Jon and Danner have already had their Oma Camps. Sam's and Ben's will be coming up in July and August. It's such a sweet time for them to spend some one-on-one time with Opa and Oma, and in the case of Liv, Sam and Ben, have a cousin to connect with as well.

Also this summer, Tom and I had a whole week without kids! Livvy was up at Hume Lake in CA for our church's youth retreat and the boys all went down to Phoenix to stay with my parents and go to their church's VBS. It was a wonderful week for all! Liv had a blast and learned a lot. Tom and I got to reconnect, go dancing, just relax and hang out. Opa and Oma got to spend quality time with the boys - well...yes, but they also had five energetic, competitive, feisty boys who can tend to be a handful, but they did quite well.

We'll be spending quite a bit of time in the car for the remainder of the summer - mom's taxi is in full-service. Last week the soccer season just kicked off for the oldest three (Jon and Danner found soccer gear just their size in the soccer bin, so they like to dress up too). There's soccer practices three times a week and multiple games on Saturdays. Both Liv and Sam have made little businesses for themselves, babysitting and doing yard-work, so that keeps me in the driver's seat. Thankfully we've worked out a deal of how to pay the taxi-driver. I work for fancy coffee. Yum!

Summer just began. We still have plenty of time to get everything done. And really, what needs to get done? I'm really hoping I can just enjoy the ride, use every adventure to connect more with my kids, and keep my eye on the eternal. Take joy in all things.

Comments

Popular Posts

The Cutlip Family