Fear vs. Faith

Last week sometime I started going through the prayer journal that I keep by my Bible.  It's always fun to look back through the years to see what we've been doing: our prayer requests, thoughts and feelings, kid quotes, and Bible studies.

I came across a collection of verses on fear, specifically fear vs. faith, that I had written down way back in 2010 sometime.  They are just as applicable today as they were back then.

When we let fears enter into our hearts, than, at that point, we are no longer walking by faith. To live with fears in life means inherently that we are not living by faith (this, of course, is not the "fear of the Lord" which is very different).  We are not trusting that God is big enough to know, control and make perfect that which we're fearful of.  If we're living by faith, trusting God's provision and good will, than fear is absent (read a biography of George Muller for a faith boost!).

I am convinced that one cannot exist with the other.  If you have one, then the other is impossible.  The Bible tells me so:

1 John 4:18

New King James Version (NKJV)
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.


2 Timothy 1:7

New King James Version (NKJV)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.


Luke 12:32

New King James Version (NKJV)
32 “Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.


Matthew 10:28

New King James Version (NKJV)
28         And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But
         rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.


Isaiah 35:4

New King James Version (NKJV)
Say to those who are fearful-hearted,
“Be strong, do not fear!
Behold, your God will come with vengeance,
With the recompense of God;
He will come and save you.”

Psalm 27:1

New King James Version (NKJV)
27 The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 23:4

New King James Version (NKJV)
  4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.






Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen, and Amen. Lyle

Popular Posts

The Cutlip Family