What's Up

I haven't posted much recently just about the kiddos.  It's amazing how much they're growing, maturing, or not...  I try to hold onto each moment, hide memories somewhere in the recesses of my brain, and yet, one minute later, it's gone. 

I feel like I'm losing the day-to-day memories.  Those everyday kinda things.

Thankfully, I know that they have spent their day solely with me.  I have invested in their education, they're character, their spirits from the minute they wake up in the morning until they fall asleep at night.

Even if tomorrow I won't remember exactly what we did.

And thankfully I have the habit of writing down those funny little things the kids say or do on scraps of paper and then transferring them here.  Even if I forget, I can check the blog and have my memory refreshed.



So here are some things the kids are saying and doing:


Livvy
Yesterday Livvy just lost her 4th tooth - she was soooo excited!  This picture is when Dad pulled the first of her top teeth.  I haven't gotten a picture yet with both of her front teeth missing.

She's is in the 1st/2nd grade and has read all of the Little House on the Prairie books, by herself.  She loves to read!  We allow her to read for 20-30 minutes after everybody's 8pm bedtime.  She's been known to read past the alarm that we have set to tell her it's bedtime and then lose her reading privileges for a night or two.  Crazy that I've had to say, "You're not allowed to read tomorrow night."

She loves math, science and history.  We just started studying America's Historical Landmarks which she's really enjoying.

She loves to put on her apron and help me make dinner. 
She does all of the laundry by herself (except that everybody puts away their own clothes).  She actually enjoys it!  It's so nice to have an "older kid" that can really help out.

 Livvy is a huge help with Jonathan.  She loves to be his "second mommy".  She can get him dressed, wash him up after a meal, and entertain him.  She's not so good at changing diapers, and won't even attempt it if it's poopy.

Even though we're working on her tendency to be a bit bossy, she generally plays really well with the boys.  She ends up playing more one on one with Sammy - those two will lose themselves in a game for an hour at least.  If Ben's involved, there's usually a conflict at some point that needs to be addressed.


Here are some things Livvy has said over the past months:
"I want to be a missionary mommy."

After an afternoon of fishing in OH:  "So...fishing wasn't fun."

"But Mommy, I don't want Jonathan to grow up.  I want him to be a baby forever."

In OH after discussing the local Amish and then seeing a black squirrel for the first time:  "The squirrels are Amish."



Sammy
Sammy is my fun-loving, hard-working little man!  For the most part, he does all his chores super quick without complaining - even checking the chickens in the snow.  He just says, "Sure, Mom."

Even though he's getting big, he still our huggy, sensitive guy.  He loves to get hugs and pass them out. 

Sammy is just starting Kindergarten material.  He loves math and I should have started him on his curriculum months ago, but didn't think he was ready.  I finally clued in when he started telling me what (2) 3's, (2) 4's, (2) 5's were out of the blue.

He's a bit of a reluctant reader, but I'm looking into a new curriculum that I think will make the process more fun.  I'm really trying to take a step back and not pressure him.  He will read when he's ready.  I just want to give him the right tools so that when he wants to start reading all those Spider-Man adventure books he keeps checking out at the library, he'll be able to take off just like Livvy did.

Sammy loves cheetahs!  He loves pretending to be a cheetah when playing house with Livvy or just on his own. 

Every now and then Sammy and Ben will really get into playing monster trucks or some "boy" game together.  But, unfortunately they still have more squabbles than not.  I'm praying that as they both get older they will gain wisdom, and develop some self-control and kindness toward each other so that they will play better together.  Either that or they'll end up killing each other.


Here's some quotes from Sammy:

Fishing in OH:  "I'm ready for you fishy.  Probably I'll catch a big one.  You're no match for me."

Right before being disciplined:  " I love you, Mommy."
Me: "I love you too Sammy.  That's why we're doing this."

"Probably it was a minute or an hour ago.  Probably an hour.  But I don't know the difference from minutes and hours."

Discussing dessert options after saying he was full from dinner:  "But candy isn't food."

"Mama, can I play Angry Birds?"





Ben
Oh my...what to say about Ben.  He's a super cute, curly-headed, independent, stubborn, polite, cuddly, sweet, temperamental little guy.  Yes, he takes after me, I admit it.  Just ask my mom.

He loves Jonathan!  Maybe a little too much.  I repeatedly have to say, "Gentle, Ben.  Gentle."  And then usually Jon ends up crying and Ben is told to go love on somebody else.

He does very well playing by himself, and generally has trouble playing with others.  Although he is getting better. 

He gives great hugs.  He loves undivided attention and especially sitting on laps.
 
His favorite book is, Where the Wild Things Are.

Ben really loves music, singing and dancing.  He really, really wants a guitar.  I told him that we'll get him one once he stops throwing his toys down in anger.  So far that hasn't been enough incentive for him to control his temper.


Here are some Ben sayings:

"Where's us goin'?"

"I welcome."

Me: "Ben, stay close to Mommy.  Cars can't see you."
Ben:  "Cars don't have eyes."

Tom:  "Ben, would you please stop kicking my chair?"
Ben:  "Sure, Dad."



Jon
Jonathan is officially crawling!  He looks like a little wind-up doll crawling around the house because he's still pretty little.  He's so cute!  He's been so entertained the last two days by exploring his expanding world.  He's been down the hall, into the schoolroom, and even checked out the oven's warming drawer.  Now the fun and training begins.
He's still a super sweet easy-going baby.  He's truly a blessing and gift from God.

Jon's babblings:

"Aahh!  Ahh!"

"Abbba bba!"

"Pppllltt!  Ppllt!"

Comments

algrundst said…
I loved this update on the kiddos! I miss you guys so much!

Popular Posts

The Cutlip Family